Monday, June 20, 2011

So it begins...

I started this blog months ago, with the intention of using it to write about the science of running, exercise, etc. You see, I decided in late 2009 that I wanted to use my background in science to communicate it, rather than do it. It's not that I have anything against research. In fact, I love it. But I love too many different, diverse fields of science to imagine spending the rest of my life studying one tiny part of one tiny question in one tiny field. What about my interest in African plains animals or the conservation of old forest in Australia? And also, what about all of those people who's eyes get big when I tell them I am a scientist, who tell me they are impressed because science is too hard for them and they could never do it? I don't want what I do to make someone feel that much more estranged from the most natural subject there is. Biology is our nature. Everyone should understand it. It's my mission to help accomplish this goal.


So why writing about running? Well, that's what I do. And I think it's an area seriously lacking in the communication of good, substantial scientific truth. There is a lot of hype and bogus information out there courtesy of the industry...and hey, maybe it will help me become a better runner too.


Look out for this to come. In the meantime, I will be using this as a forum for all things I'd like to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment